Sunday, April 19, 2009

Turning Over A New Leaf

Today I hit two major milestones/goals that I have been working towards for a while in creating a happier, healthier me.

First, I competed in my first 5K run in my life. Now, I've competed in many 5Ks and even 8Ks (as slow as I was, you couldn't even call it competing), but NEVER have I run the ENTIRE race without walking for a second. And, I did today. I felt so good the whole race that I didn't even want to walk. I reached my goal that I've been working towards for the past two months. Being able to run 3.1 miles in only 2 months time isn't bad. Now, I'm ready to work towards Race #2 in only two weeks. I finished in 36:32 today, which was much better than I was expecting. My goal is to shave off about 3 minutes or more for the race in two weeks.
My friend Sharr and I have been training together for several weeks, and she must have more willpower than me because she smoked me in mile 2 and left me to eat her dust. I think she finished in about 30 minutes, and typically we run at the same exact pace. I will get her next time! Here we are after the race!
Sharr's husband and kids were there to cheer us on and Adam ran the 10K. I did beat him... barely! Haha! Of course, he was running twice as far as us, but he got a 10 minute head start. We ran into a couple other co-workers who competed and my trainer, Matt, showed up to photograph the whole thing! Wow! I must be a success story. So, that being said, I'm ready to move onto the next challenge.
And, the second milestone today was that Adam and I just made our final big payment to pay off our credit card debt that we have had since we began dating. I only recently acquired a bunch of debt after a camera purchase, vacation, and wrecked ATV happened all at once. Adam, on the other hand, has always carried a load of debt. When we got married I think his balance was close to nothing, but never $0. Today, it is $0, PLUS we have already put a down payment on our next cruise AND still have plenty of money saved up for our next big adventure or repair (ha!). It feels good that we can have a couple hundred dollars go to a rainy day fund each month now, rather than credit card payments. Ahh.... do I smell some new camera gear in the future? Hmmmmm.................

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Thanks for the Fix It Friday comments. I love hearing what other people think...

For the B&W I, trying to remember, did a basic "convert photo to black and white, portrait". I usually do a brightness adjustment after that, trying to make the eyes and face pop. If I need to I adjust the contrast a small bit. I think that's all I did for this photo...nothing much at all.