Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mid-Week Spring Cleaning

Interesting... I logged into Blogger today and everything was in French. But we're back to English now. I was feeling super motivated yesterday after my workout at the gym and 2.1 mile trail run at the park. I ended up tearing apart my closet and cleaning EVERYTHING. I think the motivation also came from the fact that I could no longer walk into my walk-in closet.

**The Walk-In Closet**

As I said, the before photos are just going to be hideous. Clothes and shoes out the wazoo! As you can see, it was just a mess in every way possible. Too many clothes we don't even wear!There was too much stuff piled up top to where A) I couldn't reach it, or B) it would collapse on me when I pulled anything down.
I had way too many pairs of old shoes I didn't wear or that Brutus had destroyed as a puppy. Why did I save all of these?? I could hardly even get to my socks/underwear drawer in the back corner.However, after about 4 hours of work on the closet, two boxes full of garage sale/donations, a trash bag overfilled with garbage, it looks unbelievable!!

I organized the top shelf and folded all my sweaters and workout pants. I put the seasonal items (shorts/capris) away in a drawer that previously held sweaters that I no longer wear. All the stuffed animals that have sentimental value are now sitting nicely on the shelf. Cookie Monster is sitting on my workout clothes to remind me why I need to work out. And, I made enough room to be able to hang my jeans up.

AND, there's a FLOOR!! We cleaned up all the stray clothes, put the suitcases back in the basement where they belong, and got everything organized. I got rid of at LEAST 45 shirts and Adam got rid of about 10. Wow!! I came to the realization that I'm not in school anymore and we have jobs where we actually make real money. Therefore, I do not have to wear the same clothing I wore 10 years ago. If I want new clothes, darn it, I can afford to buy new clothes!I got every single shoe to fit within the bounds of the shoe rack! I threw out at least 10 pairs of shoes, too. Adam got rid of 2 pairs.But that's not all... I also went through each drawer in the closet and organized it. I threw away about 10-15 pairs of underwear. Gross, I know. Again, I realized I can buy new underwear and I don't need to wear ones with holes in them or with frayed elastic. I'm sure we all have some of those in our drawers. I also got rid of about 7 or 8 belts that won't fit... sad.

The worst drawers were my junk drawers. I am a pack rat, so I have saved all the cards I've received over the past few years. So, I spent a good amount of time organizing all the random cards that were thrown in there. I have rubber banded and labeled all the different categories of cards together by birthday - holiday - thank you - congratulations - valentine - easter - halloween - thanksgiving - anniversary - etc. So organized!!All I have left to do is wash the window and organize the top drawer. Other than that, I swept up a LOT of dog hair from the closet. I started work on our bedroom too. I hope to finish that this weekend.

So, after cleaning out the closet I'm now ready to re-fill it with a shopping trip to Kohl's! Enjoy this rainy, windy, March day!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I like the Cookie Monster!!! Oh and I see you still have your shoes from Vicki's wedding! Me too!!!