Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Lovin' My Life Make-Over

So, since I haven't posted in a while, let me give a brief update. I have given my career and life a complete makeover in the past few months. I quit my horrid, torturous job at ODU and have now taken on several part-time jobs, which could not have been a better decision. I'm so much happier and am working way less and making way more money! How does that work?? Adam and I have also purchased and obtained the keys to our new home. Pictures to come soon...

Now, I work part-time as an Academic Advisor at CSCC (a real advisor this time, not a secretary. Students actually come to me for "advice"). I love it here (in fact, I'm here right now waiting on the next student). There's a lot of down-time between students, which I enjoy. I'm starting to get pretty good at my job and know what I'm doing.

I'm also a tutor and marketing specialist for Club Z! Tutoring. I love tutoring. I am the Study Skills Specialist and also helped a student with French, and now I'm doing reading comprehension, writing, spelling, vocabulary, and cursive. It's fun, easy and great money! I even got Shayla a job there too! She may teach a summer study skills course with me if I can get anyone interested! I also put promotional materials together and sometimes have to contact schools about our services. Ehh... it pays the bills.

I'm also a pet trainer at PetSmart. It's a crappy retail gig, but I do love the class teaching and commision part. I don't so much like the manager, but I don't really mind walking around the store, selling classes, running the cash register, and helping answer pet questions that my manager doesn't know the answer to. I love the students in my classes too. I don't think I could give that part up. I don't enjoy working every Friday and Saturday night though.

Finally, I'm still in training as a Diversity Consultant for Integrity Development. I am doing an observation in September and November and then I will be ready to be a beginning consultant in 2008. It isn't very frequent, but when it does happen they pay awesome money and cover my travel, hotel, and food. Sounds like a free vacation to me!

Finally, I have been pursuing my hobby of photography a bit more. I am taking an online class at CSCC in digital photography starting next week. I'm excited that it will give me an excuse to practice. I took pictures of my aunt Karyn and her doggy Oreo for her husband for Father's Day. He absolutely loved the pictures and all of my family thinks I need to market my pet photography skills to my PetSmart students. I don't know... I can't handle another job right now!!

So, our new house... ahh, it's wonderful. I can't wait to move everything in next week. We got our keys this weekend and it was so nice to see it empty of the previous people's furniture. Now it feels like ours. We are meeting up there tonight to continue cleaning. They didn't exactly clean before they left. That's okay though. I hope that Adam will bring the doggies tonight to see their new home.

The house is 2,041 square feet, plus it has a large unfinished basement. The family room has a woodburning fire place. The kitchen has tons of cupboards, plus a pantry. The entryway and first floor bathroom has hardwood floors. The laundry room is on the first floor too. Plus, there's a living room. There are wooden spindles leading up the hall stair-case. Upstairs there are four bedrooms. The master has vaulted ceilings and a walk-in closet with its own window! The bathroom is huge! It has a vaulted ceiling, a double vanity, and jacuzzi tub! The back yard is big and fenced. The only problem is our slobby neighbors behind our yard, who we will have to block out with shrubs and trees.

Well, I should get back to work here. I will post pictures soon!!

No comments: