Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Regaining Control...

Lately I've felt that my life has been slipping away from me... passing me by... So, this month I've decided upon a "theme," if you will. Instead of moping about how time is flying by and I missed it, I'd rather write about my plan to regain control over all aspects of my life.

I've felt that my life has been swirling out of control in several (all) areas:

- The problem: My health and fitness level. I cannot stop chowing down anymore, that it's become out of control and I continue to gain weight. There are weeks that go by sometimes where I am completely non-active/comotose, and that needs to stop.
- The plan: I've continued to keep a fitness calendar (like I always have) but I'm much more motivated to make sure I'm filling in everyday with something, and that my steps are above 7,500 a day. Today I'm already at 13,500 - woohoo - because I've been more than productive! Also, we are planning our meals better so we don't eat out as much. I've made a list on the fridge of the meals for the week, so I don't want to stray. P.S. I also need to slow down when I eat.

- The problem: My finances are heading in the direction of debt. This was the first month I didn't pay off my credit card completely - ever. And I'm not super stressed about it. I know that I've over-spent and that I'm waiting on a paycheck(s) from my consulting job. But I need to keep better track of all the spending.
- The plan: I am refusing to use my credit card for anything else right now. As soon as that paycheck arrives the credit card is getting paid off in full. I also need to start tracking my debit expenses a little better.

- The problem: My careers have been all over the place. I've been doing too much of everything. I had to take a break from editing photos every day of my life and constantly running from one job to another. This week has been a much needed break.
- The plan: For now, I'm sticking to 1-2 photo shoots per month. I'm working minimal hours at PetSmart (hopefully only until August). I'm working close to normal hours at CSCC. No tutoring right now for me. Only about 1 diversity training session per month. That all sounds good to me. I've also been planning better so I'm not running frantic out the door late to work every single day.

- The problem: My attitude/emotions have run amok. I seem to snap at everyone anymore and that's got to change. The dogs seem to constantly misbehave for me and I get frustrated quickly.
- The plan: I have no concrete plan yet, but I'm trying to look at the bigger picture when something happens. I try to think, "Will this really be a big deal tomorrow or next week?" The answer is always no, so I just try to get over it and move on. I was very happy and proud on my boys' behavior today. So I'm trying to look at them more positively, and that in turn, is positively affecting the outcome of their behavior. Still working on this one...

- The problem: My house is an absolute disaster (in my eyes). Anyone who walked in may think it's the normal clutter, but I'm more critical. The outside of our house looks awesome (I will admit) but I need to organize and de-clutter the interior. And, I need to find time to keep up on the housework. It is true that we haven't seen the bottom of the laundry basket in over a month.
- The plan: I truly do want to have a garage sale this summer. I must start going through boxes in the basement, one by one. I also need to organize individual rooms. I started cleaning the master bathroom today, which was in dire need. I need to pick a room a day and roll my sleeves up.

- The problem: Myself. What is up with me never getting out of bed in time to dry my hair or iron my clothes? And, I need to clean out the closet to rid it of clothes that don't fit my big booty anymore. I've turned into a total sloth.
- The plan: I think I need to take a few extra minutes to pull my appearance together. I need to roll out of bed before I hit the snooze button a 6th time. I also feel much more comfortable and confident when I have my scented lotion/perfume on and coordinating jewelry. Is that weird? Another goal I've already been working on since my dentist visit is flossing every night. I've only missed a few times, and now I'd like to integrate Listerine into the routine once again (my canker sores have been scaring me away from it).

So, there's me, like an open book. Don't get me wrong, things here haven't been overly dramatic or disastrous. I just like to make them sound that way. :) Like I said, I've just lost control and composure. I hope that someone else can understand how I've felt, but hopefully is not experiencing the same thing themselves. Any suggestions? I think I've said enough tonight. :)

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I went through this about 2 weeks ago. I put a small "life change" plan into action and it really does make a difference. Chris has also been keeping up with my changes around the house, money and attitudes. Trust me, things can really happen if you put them to action!